This started all in my head, so it seems like a good idea to share the process. I’m a “by the pattern” kind of crocheter who likes the actual zen of crocheting rather than the creative process, so it’s not like me to get a little wild and crazy and dream up my own pattern. However, life has a way of changing one’s perspective, and after the last few rough years (loss of family members, cancer scare, closing my shop) I’m starting to slow down and start using up some of my huge stash that is a combination of my stash, my late mother’s stash, and shop stash. But having the yarn before the pattern takes more thought than choosing a pattern and then purchasing the yarn, soooo…. this week it is a baby blanket.
It started with a baby blanket found on a photo website, just 4 crocheted blocks sewn together. They looked like something I would enjoy, and I liked the idea of just 4 large blocks and a fancy edging and you’re done. Sort of a nice break from the never-ending border of a thread bedspread where each row is taking about 3 hours to finish, not to mention sitting with the whole thing in your lap! The bedspread is part of my self-named Heirloom Crochet Project – more about that at another time.
The blanket was a great idea but too bedspread-y and not baby-ish enough because it was made with size 10 thread. Plus I wanted it to be soft for a baby. I have a large stash of Clea bought on eBay years ago that I don’t use for doilies much because it is too soft for my taste, but maybe I could use 2 strands of Clea and what ended up being a size 1 hook. Tested that and liked it; it will probably be even softer when run through the dryer with a damp cloth. So now I’m set – I just need the pattern. We were discussing rose patterns on the Thread Addicts Yahoo group this week, and I saw a filet pattern that really appealed to me, a single long-stemmed rose in filet. Great! Now let’s see where it goes from there.
So far: I crocheted a few rows and the picture center is going to be about 20″ wide. Not bad, but I will add a few rows around it to “frame up” the center, maybe in alternating open and closed filet blocks. The original picture has 5-dc popcorns which presented a problem because they are both front-worked and back-worked popcorns and don’t want to lean the same way on the front. That might be okay for a picture done in size 10 thread, because you can pin and block and starch to your heart’s content. But this blanket won’t be starched, so I decided to leave off the popcorns and substitute plain blocks for the popcorns. It won’t have the frame of the popcorns, but we’ll see how that affects the finished look. The next night (I’m working on this while watching a British TV series on computer), when I get to about row 10 there are some totally different stitches that I’ve never seen in filet. How cool, I’m learning something new! This time it’s making a block with only 1 dc in the center of the block instead of 2 dc, and for the one missing you substitute a chain. This makes the block next to it seem a little wider. I like it! Then a few rows later, the blocks and spaces don’t add up no matter how many times I add up, check stitches, frog what I’ve done….. After getting the chart up to my nose, I notice that some of the open blocks are narrower than others. Turns out that I should have read the stitch legend first, because there is such a thing as a narrow block. Working over 2 open/closed blocks, you will “ch 1, sk st, dc” instead of the usual ch 2, sk 2 st, dc of a normal open block. Do it 3 times over the next 2 blocks. That gives you an open look but it’s closer together. The big problem for me is keeping up with those counts!
The picture shows what I finished last night. Next time I will take a closer picture. Also shown are the plastic storage bowls I’m using to keep the 2 balls of thread from becoming tangled and my GREAT new 27″ computer monitor. And my elf doily birthday gift from my crochet buddy Diane, a PK design made with tatting thread!